Professional Development Units (PDUs), Advanced Degrees and University Credits

  • Teachers and SSPs can increase their base-salary by earning a combination of 18 professional development units (PDUs) and university credits or earning an advanced degree. It is the employee’s responsibility to initiate a request for a grade change. Grade changes or stipends based on degrees, credits, or PDUs will be effective no later than 30 days following submission and approval of the official transcript. To request a grade change, follow these instructions.

    University Credits or Advanced Degree

    University credits or an advanced degree, which must come from regionally accredited university programs earned post-BA in a birth through twenty-one content or focus area, may be applied towards a grade change. Credits must have been completed after the educator’s most recent and highest degree was conferred.

    Professional Development Units (PDUs)

    Those who participate in a PDU will earn the three credits upon facilitator acknowledgment of completion. Some courses of study might be offered for a PDU or university credit. In these cases, participants need to choose either the PDU or the university credit, not both. For PDU information, please refer to the Professional Learning Team site

    • Teachers and SSPs can complete up to two PDUs per year for ProComp eligible credit.
    • Required professional development will follow Master Agreement contract language and is not eligible for PDU credit.
    • Salary advancement based on obtaining 18 credits may consist of a combination of post-BA or MA university credits as well as PDU credits.
    • Employees with a Bachelor's Degree and 36 credits must have a Masters’ Degree in order to receive a grade change based on educational credits. Employees with a Master's Degree and 54 credits must obtain a Doctorate to receive a grade change.
    • Employees not eligible for a grade change based on credits must request a one-time $1,000 payment prorated by FTE for each ProComp eligible PDU completed, rather than a grade change. To request payment, follow these instructions.