Transformative Social Emotional Academic Learning
“Transformative SEAL” is a process whereby young people and adults build strong, respectful, and lasting, relationships that facilitate co-learning to critically examine root causes of inequity and to develop collaborative solutions that lead to personal, community, and societal well-being.
This form of SEAL is aimed at redistributing power to promote social justice through increased engagement in school and civic life. It emphasizes the development of identity, agency, belonging, curiosity, and collaborative problem-solving.
In order to successfully implement TSEAL practices into our day-to-day lives it is important to reflect and think critically about Transformative SEAL.
School Based Supports
TSEAL Equity Focus Areas (Updated)
Intake Form to Express intersest
Three Signature Practices
Three Signature Practices (Warm Welcome, Engaging Practices, and Optimistic Closures) can be used to intentionally create culturally empowering and inclusive spaces for everyone to learn, grow and thrive.
- Overview of the Three Signature Practices and how to use them
- Here are 5 ways to end your class with Optimistic Closures
- Try these plug and play Warm Welcomes for Adults
The CASEL Playbook provides practical ways to introduce and broaden the use of SEL practices in classrooms, schools, and workplaces.
- Read Transformative Social and Emotional Learning: In Pursuit of Educational Equity and Excellence to understand more about CASEL’s definition of TSEAL
- Creating a Sense of Belonging
- When SEL is used as another form of Policing and Why we can’t afford white washed SEL are articles that helps us reflect on the use of SEL to ensure it is not used as another form of oppression
- Use this Competency Guide to see the continuum of specific Social Emotional and Academic Learning skills
- We Statements
Resources for Schools
- Universal Expectations K-5
- Universal Expectations 9-12
- CASEL School Guide leads school-based teams through a process for systemic SEL implementation.
- Guiding Questions for Check-ins has over 80 questions to support relationship building, goal checks, and coaching conversations with youth
- Effective Adult SEAL Strategies
- List of online SEL resources
- Book List (coming Soon)
The TSEAL tip of the week found in each edition of Teacher Weekly provides bitesize practices and strategies to support educators, students and community members to foster a TSEAL mindset.