Who We Are
Team DPS is made up of more than 15,000 educators who work directly or indirectly with our schools to educate our students and prepare them for college and career. Led by our superintendent, Susana Cordova, and our Senior Leadership Team and Board of Education, we all strive to achieve our common vision: Every Child Succeeds.
Here at DPS, all employees are considered educators.
Our 206 schools include:
- 94 Elementary Schools
- 32 Middle Schools
- 13 6-12 Schools
- 43 High Schools
- 17 ECE-8 or K-8 Schools
- 3 ECE-12 or K-12 Schools
- 4 ECE-K Schools
Who do we serve?
As DPS educators, we have the privilege to serve more than 93,000 students and their families across 206 schools.
- There are 170 languages spoken among our students and families.
- 64% of our students qualify for free and reduced lunch.
- 37% of our students are English learners.
- 10% of our students are Gifted and Talented learners.
- 10% of our students have special needs.
- Our students are made up of many different races and ethnicities, including:
- 54% Latinx
- 24.5% White
- 13% African-American
- 3% Asian
- 4.5% other/more than two races
- 1% American Indian/other
What do we believe?
Our vision is clear: Every Child Succeeds. Together we are following an ambitious road map to get there: the Denver Plan 2020. The Denver Plan 2020 outlines five key goals for our district to achieve by 2020:
- Great schools in every neighborhood
- A foundation for success in school
- Ready for college & career
- Support for the whole child
- Close the opportunity gap
To achieve those goals, the Denver Plan 2020 outlines clear strategies and measurable goals.
How we will get there
Using our core beliefs:
- Every child has talent and potential.
- Our diversity is a community treasure, and equity is the core of our mission.
- We can and will eliminate the opportunity gap that leads to achievement gaps.
- We must dramatically accelerate the progress we’ve made by investing more in what is working and embracing innovation.
- Every family deserves choice and access to high-quality schools in their neighborhood.
- Our kids need all of us – educators, families, community partners and staff – and together, we are Team DPS.
And our Shared Core Values:
- Students First: We put our kids’ needs at the forefront of everything we do.
- Integrity: We tell the truth, and we keep our promises.
- Equity: We celebrate our diversity and will provide the necessary resources and support to eliminate barriers to success, and foster a more equitable future for all our kids.
- Collaboration: Together as a team, we think, we work and we create in order to reach our goals.
- Accountability: We take responsibility for our individual and collective commitments, we grow from success, and we learn from failure.
- Fun: We celebrate the joy in our work and foster in our students a joy and passion for learning to last their whole lives.