DIY HR Frequently Asked Questions

  • We’ve compiled a master list of FAQs for your benefits, compensation, new hire, leave of absence, and accommodation questions. Get all your answers here!

  • What benefits am I currently enrolled in?

    To view your benefits selections for the active plan year, visit the Employee Action Center and select Employee Space.

  • What benefits am I eligible for?

    The Benefits Enrollment Guide explains all of the benefits you are eligible for based on your Employee Association (union) and FTE. If you are not sure which Employee Association you are a part of, please reach out to HR Connect by emailing or calling 720-423-3900.

  • What benefits can I enroll in or change anytime during the year? What benefits can I only change or enroll in during Open Enrollment?

    Enroll/change during Open Enrollment only (The only exception is if you experience a qualifying life event): Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance; Flexible Spending Account (FSA); Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account; Optional Life Insurance; Critical Illness, Accident and Hospital Indemnity Supplemental Insurance.

    Please note: Legal and Sick Leave Bank benefits are only able to be stopped during the annual Open Enrollment period each spring.

    Enroll/change at any time: Health Savings Account (HSA), 401K, 403(b), 457(b) Retirement Savings Plans; Long-Term Care; Home, Auto and Pet Insurance; Commuter Benefits; and the Voluntary Payroll Protection and Assistance Fund.

  • more
  • What happens if I don’t pay my summer benefits premiums or I don’t return to work?

    If we don’t receive payment by the payment deadline (10th of each month), we will terminate your coverage back to 1st of the month that payment was not received.      

    If you do not return to work by September 1, we will retroactively end your benefits back to the last day of the month that was paid. For example, if you paid your premiums through July, your benefits will be terminated effective July 31.

    Visit Summer Health Care for more information on payment options for summer coverage.

  • How do I pay for summer benefits when I’m not receiving a paycheck?

    Employees enrolled in Employee Only or Employee + Child coverage and do not earn enough to cover the cost of your premiums (after applicable benefits credits and/or subsidies have been applied), the remaining balance will be deducted from your first paycheck when you return to work, unless you have scheduled a payment plan or have paid over the summer. You must schedule a payment plan prior to your return to work.

    Employees enrolled in Employee + Spouse or Family coverage, will be invoiced for benefit premiums for the months you did not work (after applicable benefits credits and/or subsidies have been applied). You will receive an invoice after the close of the Open Enrollment period and prior to the end of your scheduled work year.

  • How do I waive my benefits for the summer?

    During benefits Open Enrollment each spring, you can waive coverage. This will end your current health care coverage on June 30th. If you waive coverage and do not return to work in the fall, you will not be eligible for COBRA. If you return to work in the fall and would like to re-enroll in health care coverage, you can do so at within 30 days of your return.

  • Do I need to enroll in Sick Leave Bank?

    All eligible employees are auto-enrolled in the Sick Leave Bank. You can opt out during the new hire and open enrollment periods. Learn more about Sick Leave Bank on The Commons.

  • Can I use Sick Leave Bank for my Maternity Leave?

    You can use up to 6 weeks for a traditional delivery and up to 8 weeks for a cesarean delivery. Sick Leave Bank can only be used after accrued sick time and vacation time has been fully used.

  • Can Sick Leave Bank be part of the Retiree Sick Leave payout?

    Sick Leave Bank hours are not part of the Retiree Sick Leave Payout.

  • more
  • Can I receive a Well Aware award every year?

    Yes! To receive a Well Aware award each year, you will need to complete all required preventative screenings and fill out a confidential online health assessment.

  • What if I do not need all of the Well Aware Screenings that are listed as required?

    As DPS does not have access to confidential medical records, we recommend the following:

    Kaiser Permanente Members: if a current health condition prevents you from completing any or all screenings, or if a screening is no longer required for your age and gender, please email or call 866-300-9867 to request a waiver for that screening. Once you submit a completed waiver to, it may take up to 30 days for your completion status for that screening to be updated on the Well Aware website.

    MotivHealth: work directly with your doctor to determine which screenings are a part of your personal care plan.

  • Will DPS employees retain their private relationship with their chosen providers & facilities?

    Yes, DPS employees will continue to have their private relationship with their chosen providers & facilities.

  • Will DPS review and approve my medical procedures?

    No. Kaiser Permanente, MotivHealth, and UnitedHealthcare review and approve all employee medical procedures.

  • Will DPS employees have different providers to choose from for their care?

    No, DPS employees will continue to utilize their preferred contracted providers with Kaiser Permanente, MotivHealth, and UnitedHealthcare.

  • more
  • What is the difference between an FSA and HSA? What are the different types of FSA? Can I enroll in more than one?

    A Health Savings Account (HSA) is a personal savings account to help pay for qualified expenses not covered by medical, dental or vision insurance plans with pre-tax dollars. All benefits-eligible employees who are enrolled in a Consumer-Driven Health Plan (CDHP) are qualified to enroll in an HSA. Each year, the money in your HSA rolls over. There is no “use it or lose it provision.” In fact, even if you leave DPS, your HSA and the money in it is yours to keep.

    A Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is a pre-tax benefit account used to pay for eligible medical, dental and vision care expenses that aren’t covered by your insurance plan. All benefits-eligible employees are qualified to enroll in an FSA. You will lose any unused balance, over $500, at the end of the plan year. In most cases, if you leave DPS you will lose your FSA unused balance. DPS offers three FSA options.

    • Dependent Care FSA: Through a Dependent Care FSA, an employee can pay for eligible elder car and dependent care expenses (such as child care) with pre-tax dollars. You are able to access your funds as they are deposited into your account each pay period. This type of FSA is allowed regardless of whether you are enrolled in an HSA.
    • Limited Use FSA: A Limited Use FSA is allowed only if you are also enrolled in an HSA and can only be used to reimburse eligible dental and vision expenses. Funding a Limited Use FSA may be a good idea if you anticipate significant out-of-pocket dental and vision expenses in the coming year. You are able to access your full annual election amount starting on the first day of your plan year. To enroll, email
    • Healthcare FSA: The Healthcare FSA allows you to set aside money from your paycheck, before income taxes are withheld, to pay for eligible out-of-pocket expenses, such as deductibles, copays and other health-related expenses, that are not paid by medical, dental or vision plans. You are able to access your full annual election amount starting on the first day of your plan year. This type of FSA is not allowed if you are enrolled in an HSA.

  • What DPS medical plans are HSAs compatible with?

    • UHC: UHC Choice Plus CDHP 3500 Plan; Colorado Doctors CDHP 3500 Plan
    • Kaiser: CDHP 3500 Plan In Network Only; CDHP 3000 Plan In Network Only; CDHP 1400 Plan In Network Only
    • MotivHealth: CDHP 3000 plan

  • How much does DPS contribute to my Health Savings Account (HSA)?

    DPS contributes $27.92 per paycheck to your Health Savings Account (HSA). You can earn an additional $200 contribution to your Health Savings Account (HSA) through the Well Aware Program.

  • more
  • What is the difference between an EPO and a PPO dental plan?

    EPO: The EPO plan provides benefits only when you see a PPO (in-network) provider. Treatment and services from a non-PPO provider are not covered.

    PPO: The PPO plus Premier plan allows you to choose from more than 3,200 participating providers across the state. Participating providers file claims directly with Delta Dental and accept Delta Dental’s reimbursement in full. You are responsible only for your deductible and coinsurance (based on your plan), as well as any charges for non-covered services. You may see any dentist; however, your out-of-pocket expenses will be less if you see a Delta Dental network dentist.

  • When will I receive my insurance card(s)?

    Delta Dental: Register or login to your Delta Dental Account (use your social security number, not your employee ID, when registering). Download and print your e-card, if a card is needed. A card will not be mailed to you. *Most dental offices do not require a card and are able to verify your insurance with your social security number.

    VSP Vision: Create an account or log in on Download and print your e-card. A card will not be mailed to you. Most providers that accept VSP will be able to look up your information.

  • Is my optometrist in network? has an extensive list of vision specialists for you to use around the Denver Metro area. If you have a relationship with your current vision specialist, check with your provider to see if they accept VSP insurance. Your provider can find you using your personal information. If your provider requires a policy number from you, please visit or call 800-877-7195.

  • How do I login in to the MetLife website?

    For more information on registering your account, view these instructions. You can also call MetLife 24/7 if you need assistance.

  • Do I have to enroll in additional/optional life insurance for myself to enroll my spouse or kids?

    Yes, you must purchase voluntary coverage for yourself in order to purchase coverage for your spouse and/or dependents.

  • How do I add or change my life insurance beneficiaries?

    To update beneficiary information, go to MetLife MyBenefits Account Sign In - Beneficiary Designation

    *If you are retired:call MetLife first at 866-492-6983

  • more
  • What is my Employee Association? What if I don’t pay dues? 

    To determine your Employee Association (also known as unions or bargaining units), visit The Commons Employee Association page. If your job is not listed and you are unsure which Employee Association you are in, please contact HR Connect at

    If you do not pay union dues, you are still part of your designated Employee Association.

Quick Links