Homeless Education Network (HEN)
The mission of Denver Public Schools Homeless Education Network(HEN) is to assist DPS students experiencing homelessness through direct support and advocacy. The primary objective is to remove educational barriers to help ensure students engage successfully in school and cultivate their unique strengths and talents.
HEN is a resource for DPS schools to provide guidance and the connection to Denver-area support services for families experiencing homelessness.
HEN ensures district compliance of the McKinney-Vento Act Title IX of ESSA
HEN focuses support on school readiness and student success including:
• School enrollment and advocacy
• Backpacks/school supplies
• School meal assistance
• Clothing, uniform assistance and school fee assistance
• Basic-need supplies
• Community resources
• School transportation
Students and Families may qualify if they are living in the following situations:
• Shelter or Transitional Housing Program
• Doubled up with friend of relative due to loss of housing and economic hardship
• Unsheltered- parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings
• Unaccompanied youth not in the physical custody or presence of a parent or legal guardian and living in one of the above situations
Visit the Homeless Education Network website to learn more about the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act and HEN services.