Changing Coverage: Medical, Dental, Vision and FSA
Employees are only able to make changes to their medical, dental, vision, and FSA plans during the Benefits Open Enrollment period each year.
The only exception is if you experience a qualifying life event.
- Marriage, divorce, or legal separation, within the last 30 days
- Birth or adoption of an eligible child, within the last 30 days
- Enrollment in other health insurance, within the last 30 days
- Loss of other health insurance, within the last 30 days
- Enrollment in Medicare, Medicaid, or CHP+ within the last 60 days
- Loss of Medicare, Medicaid, or CHP+ within the last 60 days
- Death of covered spouse or covered child, within the last 30 days
- Internal Job/Position Change at DPS (including a transfer, if there is a change of employer contribution (benefit credits) of more than $50.00 or the employee changes from non benefits eligible to benefits eligible status), within the last 30 days
You must notify the HR department within 30 calendar days of the life event (60 days for loss/gain of medical coverage through Medicare, Medicaid or CHP+). Change requests submitted after 30 days cannot be accepted. Changes are effective the first of the month following receipt of paperwork, with the exception of changes due to birth or adoption, which are effective on the date of the event.
To see if you are eligible to change your coverage within 30 days of a qualifying life event, and for next steps and forms, click here.
Canceling Auto-Enrolled Coverage +
All benefits-eligible employees working 20 or more hours per week who do not take action during Benefits Open Enrollment will be auto-enrolled in the lowest-cost medical plan with employee-only coverage (post-tax). All benefits-eligible employees working 30 or more hours per week who do not take action as a new hire will be auto-enrolled in the lowest-cost medical plan with employee-only coverage (post-tax)If you are auto-enrolled in a medical plan, you have the option to cancel the plan by completing this Medical Waiver Form and submitting it to Connect_HumanResources@dpsk12.org. Forms must be submitted by the 20th of the month to take effect on the first of the following month. You will not be refunded for premiums already paid.