Resource Center

  • Teacher and students in classroom

  • Cost of Living Toolkit

    The Cost of Living Toolkit provides resources for housing, loans, and more.  

  • Change my benefits

    Due to IRS regulations, if you choose to pay your portion of the medical, dental and vision plan costs on a pre-tax basis, and/or contribute pre-tax dollars to an FSA, once you have made your elections for the plan year, you cannot change your benefits until the next annual open enrollment period. The only exception is if you experience a qualifying life event. Election changes must be consistent with your life event. You must notify the HR department within 30 calendar days of the life event. Changes are effective the first of the month following receipt of paperwork, with the exception of changes due to birth or adoption, which are effective on the date of the event. 

    Qualifying life events include, but are not limited to:

    • Marriage, divorce or legal separation
    • Birth or adoption of an eligible child
    • Death of your spouse or covered child
    • Loss of your spouse’s or child’s benefits elsewhere
    • Change in your spouse’s or child’s work status that affects his or her benefits eligibility (resulting in a loss of benefits)
    • Change in your child’s benefits eligibility status (e.g., dependent child exceeds the maximum age for coverage; you may only drop the child from coverage as a result)
    • Change in place of residence causing a loss of eligibility (i.e., moving outside of the service area)
    • Qualified Medical Child Support Order
    • Enrollment in, or change in eligibility for, Medicare or Medicaid

    How do I change my coverage?

    To request a benefits change, notify the HR department within 30 calendar days of the qualifying life event by filling out a Benefits Change Form and sending it to Employee Services at or by faxing it to 720-423-2505. You will need to provide proof of the eventsuch as a marriage or birth certificate. This documentation will need to reflect the EFFECTIVE DATE of the change of coverage beginning or ending if the qualifying life event is a loss or gain of coverage elsewhere. Change requests submitted after 30 days cannot be accepted.

    You may change plans, add/drop coverage or add/drop dependents during the open enrollment period.

    The open enrollment period typically occurs in May. It is only during this time that you may make changes to your benefits without a qualifying life event occurring or needing to provide supporting documentation.

    Please note, you are responsible for verifying that the requested benefit changes were made correctly. You can do this by checking your payroll stub through Employee Self Service on a monthly basis. If you find any discrepancies, report them immediately to Employee Services at 720-423-3900.

    It is important to report this right away since DPS cannot refund premiums in excess of the amount the insurance carrier is willing to reimburse, or DPS district contributions beyond two previous months.

    Health Savings Account

    Change your monthly contribution to your HSA by simply completing the Health Savings Account Contribution Form.

  • Commuter Benefits

    Commuter Benefit Accounts allow you to set aside money from your paycheck, pre-tax, to cover the costs of parking or public transportation (RTD). The amount of money you set aside to pay for parking or public transit doesn’t count as income, so you are not taxed on it.

    DPS offers two tax-free Commuter Benefit Accounts administered by WageWorks:

    • Commuter Transit Account
    • Commuter Parking Account

    Eligible employees can set aside tax-free dollars to pay for public transit and parking expenses that are incurred in connection with commuting to work. These accounts are governed by Section 132(f) of the Internal Revenue Code. Your take-home pay is increased when you use a Commuter Benefit Account because amounts deposited in the account are not subject to FICA or federal tax withholdings and qualified reimbursements are not taxed.  This provides a savings between 15% and 40%, depending on your individual tax bracket.

    Commuter Transit Account
    If you enroll in this type of account, you may be able to receive reimbursement for the following expenses: any pass, token, fare card, voucher, or similar item that entitles the employee to transportation to and from work in a “commuter highway vehicle”(or transportation at a reduced price), provided that such transportation is on mass transit facilities such as a bus, train, ferry, etc., or provided by an entity in the business of transporting persons if such transportation is provided in the type of highway vehicle eligible for use in van-pooling. A highway vehicle is defined as having a seating capacity of six or more adults, not including the driver; and for which at least 80% of the mileage can reasonably be expected to be for purposes of transportation of employees between work and residences; and on trips where the number of employees carried is at least one-half of the adult seating capacity of such vehicle (not including the driver).

    Commuter Parking Account
    This benefit may be used to pay for parking provided to an employee at or near the business premises of the employer. It can also pay for parking provided at or near a location from which the employee commutes to work by van-pooling, in a commuter highway vehicle, or by carpool. It does not include residential parking. 

    The amount of the fringe benefits which are provided to an employee and which may be excluded from gross income under subsection (a)(5) shall not exceed $260 per month for parking and $260 per month for transportation. The maximum amount that can be reimbursed to a participant and/or charged on the debit card cannot exceed $260 per month for parking and $260 per month for transportation. Employees can receive multi-month reimbursements provided the reimbursement for each month in the period is calculated separately and doesn’t exceed $260 for parking and $260 per month for transportation.

    Plan enrollment and parking/transportation voucher orders

    To receive a transit pass or parking benefit, you must register for a WageWorks Commuter Benefit Account.

    All orders are final as of the 10th of the month.  For example, enrollment for benefits that begin in July must be completed by June 10. If you miss this deadline, you can enroll for benefits in July, which become effective for August and each month going forward

    If your transportation needs change, you will be able to change or place a new order at any time.

    How to register for commuter benefits

    1. Visit WageWorks.
    2. Click the “Log In/Register” link in the top-right corner.
    3. Provide the information requested to verify your eligibility.
    4. Note: Your ID code is the last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
    5. Set up your contact information, username and password, and reimbursement preference.
    6. Read and accept the User Agreement.

    Placing a commuter order

    1. After you log in to WageWorks, click “Enroll in Commuter” under the Dashboard.
    2. Select “Place Commuter Order.”
    3. Choose the type of order you wish to make (public transit, van pool or parking) and follow the instructions.
    4. Recurring orders: Select “Every Month” to repeat the same order automatically each month until you choose to change or cancel your order.
    5. Select “One Time” if you prefer to log in again whenever you’d like to order more.
    6. Complete your order. Electronic confirmations will be sent to the email address provided.

    Transit options

    • Buy My Pass: Select which pass you want to buy from RTD, and it will be automatically delivered to your home by the first of the month.
    • SmartCards: Contributions are loaded directly onto Transit Agency SmartCards where available.
    • WageWorks Commuter Card: A reusable stored-value card that can be used to purchase transit tickets and passes at transit agency vending machines and ticket windows that accept credit cards; it is a good option for infrequent riders who wish to purchase daily or 10-ride passes.
    • Vanpool: If you use a commercial or private vanpool operator to get to work, you can still participate in the program. Direct payment, voucher or “Pay Me Back” options are available.

    Parking options

    • Pay My Parking: Select how much and when to pay your parking garage and WageWorks will send payment directly from your account to the provider.
    • Pay Me Back: Pay to park and then get reimbursed via check or direct deposit. Submit claims by mail or fax.
    • WageWorks Parking Card: A reusable stored-value card that can be used at parking facilities that accept credit and debit cards. This is a great option if you park at different lots or do not have a monthly lease.

    Note: If you are eligible for a DPS parking spot, you will pay for this spot through a DPS payroll deduction and not through WageWorks until further notice.

    IRS limits for commuter benefits

    The IRS pre-tax limits for the 2018 calendar year are:

    • $260 per month for work-related public transportation
    • $260 per month for work-related parking expenses

    If your monthly transit order exceeds the IRS limit, the amount over that limit will be deducted on an after-tax basis. Please note that commuter benefits are pre-tax and will reduce your salary for retirement based highest average salary calculations.

    If you have questions about the WageWorks Commuter Program, visit WageWorks to learn more. You can also contact a customer service representative at 877-924-3967.

    *Requests for transportation reimbursements must be submitted within 180 days of the date the expense was incurred.

    Changes in election

    Unlike other pre-tax benefit plan elections, an employee is able to change his or her transportation benefit election without restriction, but the change will apply prospectively (i.e., you can change or add a type of transportation benefit, change the election amount, or cease participation).


    The plan permits employees who remain employed by DPS to carry over unused amounts to subsequent months for an indefinite period, provided the amounts are used solely for qualified transportation fringe benefits as described above. Employees who terminate employment will forfeit any unused amounts; however, any qualified transportation expenses incurred prior to the employee’s date of termination are eligible expenses and can be reimbursed if submitted in a timely manner. COBRA does not apply to this benefit.

    How to enroll

    To enroll in Commuter Benefits, please visit WageWorks.

  • Dental Plans

    DPS offers two dental insurance plan options through Delta Dental of Colorado.

    Delta Dental Exclusive Panel Option (EPO-1B) a feature of the Delta Dental PPO

    Delta Dental PPO plus Premier Plan

    • Provides in- and out-of-network benefits, allowing you the freedom to choose any dentist
    • The amount you pay varies based on whether you see a Delta Dental PPO, Delta Dental Premier or non-participating dentist.
    • If you see a Delta Dental PPO dentist, you will pay less out of your pocket.
    • If you see a Delta Dental Premier dentist, you will be responsible for the difference between the PPO dentist’s allowable fee and the fee from the Premier dentist.
    • If you see a non-participating dentist, you will be responsible for the difference between the PPO dentist’s allowable fee and the full charges you are billed.
    • Delta Dental PPO Plus Premier

    You can locate a Delta Dental network provider at Delta Dental CO.

  • Employee Assistance Program

    The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and work-life solutions are provided by ComPsych through GuidanceResources. Your GuidanceResources benefits will give you and your dependents confidential support, resources and information for personal and work-life issues. These services are provided at no charge to you.

    GuidanceResources is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To access your GuidanceResources benefits, you can:

    1. Call 855-327-1377 and you'll speak to a counseling professional who will listen to your concerns and can guide you to the appropriate services you require;
    2. Or, visit GuidanceResources online and enter your company ID: DPS.

    If you have any questions, read the GuidanceResources Commonly Asked Questions About Your EAP

    Your GuidanceResources services include:

    Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for confidential counseling

    Life can be stressful. Your EAP is designed to provide short-term counseling services for you and your dependents to help you handle concerns constructively, before they become major issues. Call any time about concerns such as marital, relationship and family problems; stress, anxiety and depression; grief and loss, job pressures and substance abuse.

    Work-Life solutions

    Too much to do and too little time to get it all done? The work-life specialists at ComPsych can do the research for you, and provide qualified referrals and customized resources for child and elder care, moving, pet care, college planning, home repair, buying a car, planning an event, selling a house, and more.

    Legal support

    With GuidanceResources, you have an attorney “on call” whenever you have questions about legal matters. Speak with on-staff licensed attorneys about legal concerns such as divorce, custody, adoption, real estate, debt and bankruptcy, landlord/tenant issues, civil and criminal actions, and more. If you require representation, you can be referred to a qualified attorney for a free 30-minute consultation and a 25% reduction in customary legal fees.

    Financial information

    Everyone has financial questions. With your GuidanceResources benefits, you can get answers to your questions about budgeting, debt management, tax issues and other money concerns from on-staff CPAs, Certified Financial Planners and other financial experts, simply by calling the toll-free number.

    GuidanceResources Online

    Go online to access timely, expert information on thousands of topics, including relationships, work, school, children, wellness, legal, financial and free time. You can search for qualified child and elder care professionals, attorneys and financial planners, as well as ask questions, take self-assessments and more.


  • Employee Discounts

    As a DPS employee, you have access to many employee discounts on popular brands, retailers and services, both local and national.

    This program is designed exclusively for you — our team members. Now you can take advantage of special pricing on popular, innovative products and services to help you better manage your day-to-day lives.


  • Employee Leave

    If you or one of your immediate family members is suffering from a serious health condition, you may be able to take a leave of absence of up to 12 weeks from your job through FMLA.

    What is FMLA?

    The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) can provide up to 12 weeks of unpaid protected leave for specified family and medical reasons. FMLA is a federally mandated program that helps protect you in case you, a parent, child or spouse (including Common-Law Spouse or Domestic Partner with affidavit) have a serious health condition. The most common type of leave is to care for an employee’s serious health condition.

    Basic types of leave also include family leave for any of the following reasons:

    • Father’s attendance at birth of child
    • Parent’s care of child after birth
    • Placement of child for adoption or foster care
    • Caring for the employee’s spouse, parent or child with a serious health condition; this includes partners in a civil union or domestic partnership in Colorado

    Am I eligible for FMLA?

    In order to qualify for FMLA, you must meet these requirements:

    • You must have been employed by the district for at least 12 months.
    • You must have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 months prior to the start of your leave of absence.

    How do I get paid while on leave?

    In order to get paid during a leave of absence, you must use all of your accumulated Sick, Personal, and Vacation time (if eligible). See the Sick Leave Bank for more information. You can calculate the approximate amount of pay you can expect to receive while on leave. Download the Salary Continuation Worksheet.

    Medical Coverage While on Leave

    While you are on a paid leave, all your insurance benefits will continue. If the leave is unpaid, but you’re still on FMLA leave, then you will only owe the amount that your district contribution does not cover. If you are still on unpaid leave after FMLA expires, you will be notified of how to continue benefits through COBRA.

    How do I request a leave?

    If you would like to request a leave of absence, you must do so through the TruePay System. You’ll also need to review the TruePay website on the DPS Commons for instructions on how to request a leave of absence. Within 15 days of requesting a leave of absence, you must submit medical certification documentation for the Employee’s Serious Health Condition or Family Member’s Serious Health Condition, as applicable.

    Employee’s Serious Health Condition/Maternity Leave

    In order to qualify for a Serious Health Condition or Maternity Leave, you must complete a copy of the Certification of Health Care Provider for Employees Serious Health Condition. Once you’ve completed the form, you can bring it into Employee Services. You can also fax it to 720-423-3853, or send it by email to

    Family Member Serious Health Condition

    In order to qualify for a Family Member Serious Health Condition or Maternity Leave, you must complete a copy of the Certification of Health Care Provider for Family Member's Serious Health Condition. Once you’ve completed the form, you can bring it into Employee Services. You can also fax it to 720-423-3853, or send it by email to

    Intermittent Leave

    To request an Intermittent Leave, you must complete the appropriate Certification of Health Care Provider form. Once you’ve completed the respective form, you can bring it into Employee Services, fax it to 720-423-3853, or send it by email to You do not need to submit a return to work release prior to returning to work. If you need to extend the Intermittent Leave beyond six months, you must re-certify and request a new leave. 

    Military Leave/Family Service Member Serious Illness or Injury

    Military Leave is available for an employee who is a covered service member that is seriously injured or ill, or an employee who cares for a covered service member who is seriously injured or ill. To request this type of leave, please select and complete the appropriate form below: 

    FMLA forms are available for download on the Department of Labor site

    If you need any additional information regarding a leave of absence, please contact the leave of absence specialist at 720-423-3092.

    Employee Leave Forms

  • Employee Notices

  • Flexible Spending Account

    What is a Healthcare FSA?

    A Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is a pre-tax benefit account used to pay for eligible medical, dental and vision care expenses that aren’t covered by your insurance plan or elsewhere. It’s a smart, simple way to save money while keeping you and your family healthy and protected.

    DPS offers three FSA options—the health care FSA, the limited purpose health care FSA and the dependent care FSA, which allow you to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. The FSAs are administered by WageWorks.

    How does a Healthcare FSA work?

    You decide how much to contribute to each FSA on a plan-year basis up to the maximum allowable amounts. Your annual election will be divided by the number of pay periods and deducted evenly on a pre-tax basis from each paycheck throughout the year.

    You will receive a debit card from WageWorks, which can be used to pay for eligible health care expenses at the point-of-service. If you do not use your debit card, you may submit a claim form and a bill or itemized receipt from the provider to WageWorks. Keep all receipts in case WageWorks requires you to verify the eligibility of a purchase.

    Things to consider before contributing to an FSA

    • For the health care FSA, at the end of the plan year, you can roll over $500 from your health care FSA to use in future years. Any amount in excess of $500 will be forfeited.
    • You cannot take income tax deductions for expenses you pay with your health care FSA and/or dependent care FSA.
    • You cannot stop or change contributions to your FSA during the year unless you have a qualifying life event consistent with your change in contributions.
    • Also, you must re-enroll at open enrollment to continue your contributions. 
    • During the years that your salary is included in your Highest Average Salary calculation, you may want to consider stopping participation in the FSA accounts. 

    Your FSA Options

    Healthcare FSA (not allowed if you are enrolled in an HSA)

    The health care FSA allows you to set aside money from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis (before income taxes are withheld) to pay for eligible out-of-pocket expenses, such as deductibles, copays and other health-related expenses, that are not paid by the medical, dental or vision plans. Over-the-counter (OTC) medications are not eligable for reimbursement without a prescription. 

    Limited Purpose Healthcare FSA (if you are also enrolled in an HSA)

    If you fund an HSA, you are not eligible to fund a health care FSA. However, you can fund a limited purpose health care FSA. A limited purpose health care FSA can only be used to reimburse dental and vision expenses. Funding a limited purpose FSA may be a good idea if you anticipate significant out-of-pocket dental and vision expenses in the coming year.

    Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

    Through a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA), an employee can pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. Employees can establish a Healthcare and/or Dependent Care FSA each plan year (July 1 through June 30) to pay for eligible expenses to be incurred during the plan year. 

    Important Notes:

    • Employees must re-enroll each year at Open Enrollment to continue these accounts. 
    • Services must be incurred within the plan year, and reimbursement claims must be received by the carrier no later than 90 days following the end of the plan year.

    How do I access my FSA funds?

    With a variety of convenient payment options, your WageWorks Healthcare FSA makes it easy for you to get reimbursed for hundreds of eligible health care expenses, like copayments for doctor visits, prescription drugs, and new eyeglasses or contact lenses. 

    Payment options include:

    • Pay my provider: Arrange for convenient direct payments to your health care provider. Simply log into your WageWorks account and fill out a form to have eligible expenses paid directly from your account.
    • Pay me back: Arrange for account funds to be directly deposited into your bank account or a check to be mailed to reimburse you for eligible expenses you've already paid.
    • Pay by debit card: Depending on your employer’s plan, you may use the convenient WageWorks Healthcare Card associated with your account to pay for hundreds of eligible health care products and services. If you have more than one WageWorks account, this smart debit card knows which account to draw money from first. Just don’t forget to save your receipts as some expenses charged to your debit card may need to be verified.

    Eligible expenses

    You can use your account to pay for a variety of health care products and services for you, your spouse and your dependents. The IRS determines which expenses are eligible for reimbursement. A comprehensive list of eligible expenses is available on WageWorks

    Manage your account

    WageWorks makes it easy to manage your Healthcare FSA. Log into the WageWorks secure web portal to manage all aspects of your WageWorks account:

    • Check account balances
    • Submit claims and view claims status
    • Look up eligible expenses
    • Upload receipts to verify card transactions
    • Select your reimbursement methods (by check or direct deposit)
    • Choose to receive account alerts by email or text

    The WageWorks EZ Receipts® mobile app puts the power of the WageWorks web portal in the palm of your hand. Download this handy app to your mobile device, log into your account, and check balances, submit claims, view transactions, snap photos of receipts, get account alerts by text or email — all on the go!

  • Health Savings Account

    You must be enrolled in a DPS Consumer Driven Health Plan to open a Health Savings Account.

    An HSA is an individually-owned, personal health care savings account that you can use to pay out-of-pocket health care expenses with pre-tax dollars. Your contributions are tax-free, and the money remains in the account for you to spend on eligible expenses no matter where you work or how long it stays in the account.

    DPS will help you start saving by contributing $27.92 per paycheck to your HSA. Annually, you have the opportunity to earn an additional $200 HSA contribution through the Well Aware Campaign. Contributions,including DPS contributions, cannot exceed the annual IRS contribution maximums. Employees who are at least 55 by December 31, 2018, may contribute additional funds to their HSA (up to $1,000 in 2018).

    Note: HSA contributions are PERA-includible. You and DPS make PERA contributions on your HSA contributions. If you fail to enroll in an HSA account, you will forfeit the $27.92 per paycheck DPS contribution.

    HSA eligibility

    You are eligible to open and fund an HSA if:

    • You are covered by an HSA-eligible high-deductible health plan.
    • You are not covered by your spouse’s health plan (unless it’s an HDHP), health care FSA, or health reimbursement arrangement.
    • You are not eligible to be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return.
    • You are not enrolled in Medicare or TRICARE for Life.
    • You have not received Veterans Administration benefits.

    Important note: If you open and fund an HSA, you can contribute to a limited purpose health care FSA (LPFSA). Allowable expenses are limited to eligible dental and vision expenses only. You may contribute up to $2,650 to your LPFSA for the 2018-19 plan year (July 1–June 30). 

     Your HSA is an individually owned account

    • You own and administer your HSA.
    • You determine how much you will contribute to your account and when to use the money to pay for eligible health care expenses.
    • You must establish an HSA prior to the date of service for expenses to be eligible for reimbursement.
    • Like a bank account, you must have a balance in order to pay for eligible health care expenses.
    • It is important that you keep receipts for tax documentation.
    • An HSA allows you to save and “roll over” money if you do not spend it in the calendar year.
    • The money in the account is always yours, even if you change health plans or jobs.
    • There are no vesting requirements or forfeiture provisions.

    How does an HSA work alongside a CDHP to save money?

    Maximize your tax savings

    • Contributions to an HSA are tax free, and can be made through payroll deduction on a before-tax basis.
    • If you open an account through a banking institution other than WageWorks, DPS cannot deduct before-tax contributions from your paycheck; you will need to make post-tax contributions directly to the institution and claim the deduction on your federal income tax filing for any amounts you contribute to your HSA.
    • The money in your HSA (including interest and investment earnings) grows tax-free.
    • As long as you use the funds to pay for qualified medical expenses, the money is used tax-free.

    2018 HSA contribution maximums

    The 2018 IRS maximum contributions are as follows:

    • Employee-Only coverage: $3,450
    • All other coverage tiers: $6,900

    Individuals age 55 or older may make an additional $1,000 annual catch-up contribution to their HSA.

    Use your HSA to pay for qualified medical expenses

    • Use your HSA money to pay for eligible health expenses now or in the future.
    • HSA funds can be used for your expenses and those of your spouse and eligible dependents, even if they are not covered by the DHMP CDHP or Kaiser CDHP. (Dependent children must be your tax dependent.)
    • HSA eligible expenses include your medical and dental deductibles, copays, coinsurance, eye exams, prescription expenses and LASIK surgery.
    • You can increase or decrease your contribution at any time. View HSA Contribution Change Form

    Use this calculator to estimate your annual eligible expenses and determine an annual HSA election amount that’s right for you and your family.

  • Life Insurance and Disability

    Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance is an important element of your income protection planning, especially for those who depend on you for financial security. For your peace of mind, DPS provides basic life and AD&D insurance to all benefits-eligible employees at no cost. In addition, full-time employees have the option to purchase supplemental life and AD&D insurance.

    Login to MetLife MyBenefits to update your beneficiary designation(s). For additional instructions on how to register online and update beneficiary designation(s) click here.

    Basic life and AD&D insurance

    DPS automatically provides basic life and AD&D insurance to all benefits-eligible employees at no cost through MetLife. Should you die as a result of an accident, your beneficiary would receive both the life benefit and the AD&D benefit.

    • Active full-time employee life benefit: Two times annual earnings, up to a maximum of $300,000

    • Active full-time employee AD&D benefit: Two times annual earnings up to a maximum of $300,000

    • Benefit-eligible part-time (hourly) employee life benefit: $2,500

    Benefits reduce at age 65. The amount you are eligible for at retirement can be converted to an individual plan through MetLife. Please refer to the official plan documents for details.

    Supplemental life and AD&D insurance

    DPS offers full-time employees the option to purchase supplemental life and AD&D insurance for yourself, your spouse and dependent children through MetLife. You must purchase voluntary coverage for yourself in order to purchase coverage for your spouse and/or dependents.

    • Employee: $10,000 increments up to $500,000 (minimum election: $20,000)
      • New Hire guarantee issue: $100,000
    • Spouse: $10,000 increments up to $100,000
      • New Hire guarantee issue: $20,000
    • Dependent children: 15 days to 6 months: $100; 6 months to age 19 (or 23 if full-time student): $2,000 or $5,000

    During new hire enrollment, employees who enroll in supplemental life are eligible for up to $100,000  coverage for themselves and $20,000 coverage for their spouse guaranteed without having to complete a statement of health. 

    Any time outside of new hire enrollment (including open enrollment), any employee working 20 hours per week or more is able to enroll in supplemental life but will need to fill out a statement of health. The Statement of Health Form will be reviewed by MetLife prior to approval for the requested amount up to a maximum of $500,000 for the employee and a $100,000 maximum for their spouse. 

    To enroll in supplemental life insurance outside of the regular enrollment periods, please visit the forms library under optional life to print and complete the MetLife Optional Life Insurance Statement of Health form.

    For additional information, please visit the MetLife website. To view a full list of rates, click here.

    MetLife Grief Counseling

    Grief Counseling services are provided by LifeWorks US Inc. These services are included with MetLife's Life Insurance coverage as part of the MetLife Advantages program that is available to assist you with life's unexpected and often untimely events at no cost to you. Grief counseling provides you with access to confidential support following a loss including:

    • Five (5) in-person or telephonic counseling sessions per event
    • Funeral assistance services including locating local funeral homes, identifying backup care for children or older adults, and finding specific support groups
    • Critical Incident Response support for when an unexpected emergency or crisis resulting in employee trauma occurs at the work place

    To view additional information on this benefit, please review this MetLife Grief Counseling Information Sheet.

    Colorado PERA optional life insurance

    PERA offers an optional group decreasing term life insurance plan administered by UNUM called Plan 1. Coverage with Plan 1 is based on age and allows the member to purchase units of coverage to meet their life insurance needs. In addition, the plan provides:

    • Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) benefits
    • Life insurance coverage for spouses and eligible children
    • Accelerated benefit option
    • Free survivor financial counseling to members, inactive members and their survivors

    The cost for employees is $7.75 per unit. For additional information, please contact Colorado PERA at 800-759-7372 or 303-832-9550.

    Colorado PERA short-term disability program

    Colorado PERA members with five or more years of earned service credit are covered by a two-tier disability program consisting of a short-term disability (STD) program and a disability retirement benefit. The Disability Program Administrator, Unum, makes the medical determinations for the program and provides STD coverage through an insurance policy.

    For additional information, please contact Colorado PERA at 800-759-7372 or 303-832-9550.

    Long-term disability insurance

    DPS provides long-term disability insurance to eligible employees automatically and at no cost. Disability insurance is designed to help you meet your financial needs if you become unable to work due to an illness or injury.

  • Medical plans

    Your Health, Your Way!

    When designing our medical plans offered to you and your family, we look at three things: Affordability, Sustainability and Choice. With this in mind, we currently offer six Consumer-Driven Health Plans (CDHP).


    DPS medical insurance options

    Kaiser Permanente Consumer-Driven Health Plans with Health Savings Account (CDHP/HSA)

    • Provide in-network benefits only; all services must be provided by a KP network provider (except in the case of a life- or limb-threatening emergency)
    • Three options for deductible and out-of-pocket maximums
    • Preventive Care is covered at no cost to members (no deductible, coinsurance, or copay).
    • Many preventive medications are covered at no cost to members (no deductible, coinsurance, or copay)
    • You may be eligible to fund an HSA
    • Locate a network provider at

    Kaiser Permanente Deductible HMO

    • Provide in-network benefits only; all services must be provided by a KP network provider (except in the case of a life or limb-threatening emergency)
    • Deductible and maximum out of pocket limits apply for some procedures, diagnostic tests, outpatient surgery  or hospitalizations
    • Preventive Care is covered at no cost to members (no deductible, coinsurance, or copay)
    • Co-Pays for doctor visits and most medications
    • Locate a network provider at

    Visit the Kaiser Permanente Site or contact Kaiser at 303-338-3800 (current members) or 303-338-3990 (prospective members).

    If you need to visit an urgent care facility, please visit the Kaiser Urgent Care page and select the link for your area to find your nearest urgent care location.

    Kaiser Plans

    Aetna Consumer-Driven Health Plans with Health Savings Account (CDHP/HSA)

    Aetna provides you with access to more than 1,200 primary care physicians and 5,900 specialists in the Whole Health Colorado Front Range Network. It also features:

    • A partnership with Dispatch Health, an in-home health care provider.
    • 24-hour-a-day virtual access to a doctor through Teladoc.
    • An option to talk with a nurse any time to discuss symptoms and get health information and advice.
    • Aetna Mobile, a mobile application that allows you to manage your health on-the-go
    • Provide in-network benefits only; all services must be provided by a provider in the Whole Health Colorado Front Range network (except in the case of urgent or emergency care, which are covered anywhere in the United States)
    • Three options for deductible and out-of-pocket maximums
    • Many preventive medications are covered at no cost to members (no deductible, coinsurance, or copay)
    • You may be eligible to fund an HSA
    • Locate a network provider at

    Aetna Deductible HMO

    • Provide in-network benefits only; an Aetna provider must provide all services.  
    • Deductible and maximum out of pocket limits apply for some procedures, diagnostic tests, outpatient surgery  or hospitalizations
    • Preventive Care is covered at no cost to members (no deductible, coinsurance, or copay)
    • Co-Pays for doctor visits and most medications
    • Locate a network provider at

    Visit the Aetna Site or contact Aetna at 855-736-9469.

    Aetna Plans

    Do you have a dependent/child that lives outside of the Whole Health Front Range Network? Don't worry -- they will still be covered!

    Information for Current DHMP members -- find out if your doctor is in our new Aetna network:

    We know you're wondering whether your doctor is in the Aetna Whole Health network -- and most DHMP medical providers are. Here's how to find out:

    1. Click here. In the "enter as guest" box, enter your zip code.
    2. In the list of networks on the right, select "(CO) Aetna Whole Health - Colorado Front Range Health Network Only." Then, click "Continue."
    3. Under, "What do you want to search for near 80203 (Denver, CO)?" enter your doctor's name in the search field.

    Transition-of-care coverage

    If you're concerned about transitioning care for an active course of treatment (see page two of this document for an FAQ), transition-of-care coverage is available. It allows eligible employees to continue to see their doctors, even if their doctors aren't in a new provider's network. Talk with your doctor now to prepare for transition-of-care, then submit the necessary forms no sooner than July 1 when the new enrollment year begins. 

    Free or low-cost insurance for lower income employees

    Free or low cost health insurance may be available to our lower income employees through Medicaid. Everyone’s situation is unique, but as an example a family of four with an income of $5,200 per month may qualify for some premium assistance. For more information and to see if you, your family, or your children qualify please call our medical assistance department at 720-423-3661.

    Still have questions? Call Employee Services at 720-423-3900 or email

    What is a Consumer-Driven Health Plan?

    Consumer-Driven Health Plans (CDHPs) offer participants lower premiums in exchange for a higher deductible, with overall risk limited by out-of-pocket maximums.

    These types of plans empower consumers to manage their overall costs by maintaining their own wellness and by smart use of health care services. Unlike HMOs, CDHPs do not have co-pays.

    Members use a Health Savings Account (HSA) to cover deductibles and other qualified expenses. For additional information, watch this comprehensive Consumer Driven Health Plan video.

    • If you stay within your network, you will pay the negotiated rate for these services.
    • After you meet your deductible, you pay coinsurance until you meet your out-of-pocket maximum.
    • Once you meet your out-of-pocket maximum, expenses are paid 100% by the plan.
    • Preventive care is covered at 100% -- no deductible, no coinsurance, no copay. A complete list of preventive health services is available on

    What is a Health Savings Account?

    A Health Savings Account is a personal bank account to help pay for qualified expenses not covered by medical, dental or vision insurance plans. These include deductibles, coinsurance (your portion of medical expenses), eye exams, eye glasses, dental procedures and much more. Each year, the money in your HSA rolls over. There is no “use it or lose it provision.” In fact, even if you leave DPS, your HSA and the money in it is yours to keep.

    DPS contributes $27.92 per paycheck into employees’ Health Savings Accounts, provided the employee is covered by a DPS Consumer-Driven Health Plan and enrolls in an HSA account. You can also receive an additional $200 contribution by completing an online Health Risk Assessment and by being up-to-date on all your age and gender specific preventive screenings, through the Well Aware Campaign.  

    For additional information visit Use My Health Savings Account.

    Free or low-cost insurance for lower income employees

    Free or low cost health insurance may be available to our lower income employees through Medicaid. Everyone’s situation is unique, but as an example a family of four with an income of $5,200 per month may qualify for some premium assistance. For more information and to see if you, your family, or your children qualify please call our medical assistance department at 720-423-3661.


    Still have questions? Call Employee Services at 720-423-3900 or email


  • Prescription drug lists for Kaiser and Aetna

    If you or your physician request a brand-name drug when a generic is available, you pay the brand copay PLUS the difference in cost between the two drugs, along with any remaining prescription deductible.

    Three Ways to Save on Prescription Drugs

    1. Choose generics: Nearly 80% of Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved drugs have a generic alternative.
    2. Shop around: Did you know that prices can vary dramatically from one pharmacy to the next? Log into your medical plan portal to see what pharmacy near you offers your medication for the lowest cost.
    3. Sign up for home delivery: Do you have medications that you take regularly? If so, save time—and maybe money too—by using a mail-order pharmacy. Mail-order pharmacies fill three-month prescriptions—meaning less time spent requesting refills and often a decreased cost per dose.

    Kaiser Permanente Drug Lists

    Aetna Drug Lists

  • Retirement

    See the Retirement page for additional details regarding Retirement and Tax-Sheltered Retirement Savings Accounts.

  • Sick Leave Bank

     Changes to Sick Leave Bank Effective 1/1/19:

    In order to make the Sick Leave Bank (SLB) equitable for all employees, the Benefits Board -- comprised of representatives from all DPS employee association groups (union) -- has made improvements to the SLB policy. Beginning January 1, 2019, the following changes wil be in effect for all team members enrolled in the SLB:

    • Sick day contribution will be one sick day (8 hours) both to join SLB and to maintain membership. The deduction will be taken annually in November.
    • Access up to 40 sick days per year. This increases the number of available days for up to half of all DPS team members.

    For further information on Sick Leave Bank changes for 2019, click here.

    Employees working in a position that accrues sick leave may be eligible to become members of the Sick Leave Bank.

    DPS offers eligible employees the option of enrolling in the Sick Leave Bank Program. The purpose of the Sick Leave Bank is to provide a way of obtaining additional sick leave days (upon proper approval) to eligible employees who are on an extended personal illness leave, have exhausted all of their accumulated leave and would otherwise be on an unpaid leave status.

    In order to use the Sick Leave Bank, you must be enrolled. 

    • 2018 Open Enrollment for the Sick Leave Bank for current employees is from April 23 through May 11.
    • Newly hired employees must enroll within 60 days from their first official day of work, and it will be effective the first of the month following the 60 days.  
    • New Hires may enroll through the Benefits Enrollment Site

    You can only use the Sick Leave Bank for your own personal illness or injury. If someone else needs medical care besides you, please refer to our Family Medical and Leave Act (FMLA) Policy.

    If you are out on Maternity Leave, Sick Leave Bank can only be used for the first six to eight weeks of recovery from labor, depending on the type of pregnancy that you have. Any time that you remain out after that does not qualify for Sick Leave Bank pay.

    For further information, refer to the Sick Leave Bank Guidelines and Procedures.

  • Summer Health Care Coverage

    Summer Health Care Coverage

    (Previously Summer Coupons)

    How do I change my benefits?

    • If you did not take action during Open Enrollment, you have been automatically enrolled into the lowest-cost medical plan for the next plan year, beginning July 1, 2018 (post-tax). You will receive benefit credits as compensation over the summer.  If you waive coverage and do not return to work in the fall, you will not be eligible for COBRA.

    • If you would like to cancel your benefits upon your return back to work in the fall, you can do so by filling out the 2018-19 Medical Waiver  Form.

    How do I pay for my benefits?

    • If you are enrolled in Employee Only or Employee + Child coverage and do not earn enough to cover the cost of your premiums (after benefits credits/discounts have been applied), the remaining balance will be deducted from your first paycheck* when you return to work. If you elect benefits but do not return to work by September 1, we will email you a bill with a last chance to pay for summer benefits.  If you do not respond to the email with payment by September 20th, we will end your benefits back to July 1. This means any claims after July 1 will not be covered.

    *If taking the full deduction out of our first paycheck when you return would cause a financial hardship, please contact before 10th of the month of which you return and we can set up a payment schedule.

    • If you are enrolled in Employee + Spouse or Family level coverage, you will be sent a bill for benefit premiums for the months you do not work (after benefits credits/discounts have been applied). If we don’t receive payment from you by the payment deadline (i.e. July 10 for July), we will terminate your coverage back to July 1. This means that any medical claims after 7/1 will not be covered. 

    If I waive, can I enroll in benefits when I return to work?

    Yes. You will need to fill out a Benefits Change Form within 30 days of your return to work date. You can access this form by visiting under the Forms Library. Your coverage will begin the first day of the month after you return to work.

    Questions? Please contact Employee Services at 720-423-3900 or


  • Vision plans

    DPS offers a vision insurance plan through VSP. You have the freedom to choose any vision provider.

    However, you will maximize the plan benefits when you choose a VSP network provider. If you choose an out-of-network provider, you may be responsible for paying in-full at the time of service and submitting a claim to VSP for reimbursement.

    Locate a VSP network provider at VSP® Vision Care (Choice Network), or by calling 800-877-7195.

    For More information, please view Your Vision Benefits Summary.  

    Important tips

    Visit VSP® Vision Care to view the complete list of providers who accept your plan and gain instant access to tools to help manage your vision benefits. 

    Please Note: Searching for a VSP provider doesn't guarantee your eligibility or coverage. If you choose not to log in, you may continue as a guest. However, VSP can't guarantee the providers on the list will participate in your plan. In addition, VSP cannot guarantee that all doctors on your plan will appear on the list.

  • Voluntary benefits

    DPS offers employees a wide range of supplemental benefits to meet the needs of employees.

    MetLife Voluntary Benefit Options

    Are you concerned about what would happen if you were hospitalized and had to pay out of pocket for high medical costs or lose income to meet other day-to-day expenses? MetLife can bridge that gap and give you peace of mind for specific situations. DPS offers three plans that you can customize to meet your needs. 

    • A MetLife Critical Illness Plan can help ease the financial stress of surviving a criticall illness. Click here for plan details and rates. 
    • In the event of a covered accident, and MetLife Accident Policy pays cash benefits to help with the costs associated with out-of-pocket expenses and bills - expenses major medical may not take care of. Click here for plan details and rates.
    • An MetLife Hospital Indemnity Plan provides financial assistance to enhance your current coverage so you can avoid dipping into savings, or having to borrow to cover out-of-pocket expenses when hospitalized. Click here for plan details and rates.

    All three plans are compatible with Health Savings Accounts, meaning you can enroll in these plans and still contribute to an HSA. If you are building savings in your HSA, consider enrolling in any of these plans, which pay cash benefits that you can use toward deductibles and co-insurance, or anything else that you choose.

    Long-Term Care Insurance

    DPS offers Long-Term Care (LTC) Insurance through UNUM (Policy #534675). Employees, family members and retirees can apply. LTC insurance can help secure your future and the futures of those you love, and can be an economical way to manage life’s risks.

    Employee premium payments are made through payroll deductions on an after-tax basis.

    UNUM Life Insurance Company of America
    Long Term Care Operations
    2211 Congress St
    Portland, ME  04122

    This form must be completed and returned within 31 days of the date of the group coverage ended. You will be responsible for the entire cost of your coverage. If you have any questions concerning the form, call UNUM at 1-800-227-4165.

    Auto and home insurance

    DPS offers employees the opportunity to purchase auto and home insurance at a group rate.

    • Call MetLife Benefits Line 1-800-GET-MET8 (1-800-438-6388) Monday through Saturday for quotes, to apply for coverage and customer service.
    • To find out more about the program and get instant auto insurance quotes online, log on to MetLife MyBenefits.
    • Claims can be reported 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
      • To make the most accurate comparisons, please have your current policies on hand when calling.
      • For auto quotes, please also have the following: Social Security number, the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and the driver’s license number of each member of your household.

    To learn more view the MetLife Auto & Home overview or review the MetLife Q&A.

    Pet insurance

    DPS employees can receive a group discount off of pet insurance plans through MetLife. A policy covers thousands of medical problems and conditions related to accidents or illnesses (even cancer) for dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, rabbits, reptiles and other exotic pets. You have the freedom to visit any licensed veterinarian anywhere, even when you’re away from home. For more information or to enroll, call 800-438-6388.

    Westerra Credit Union

    Westerra is a local, members-owned financial institution that has earned a reputation as a trusted resource and a valued partner. Westerra offers competitive rates, a full range of quality products, expertise and service. New Westerra members are also eligible for current promotions when they open a “Better Than Free” checking account. For more information about this offer and Westerra, please visit Westerra Credit Union or call 303-321-4209.

    DENVER Educational Senior Citizens, Inc. (DESCI)

    The DESCI Community Housing Fund provides rent subsidies to low-income DPS employees, retirees, or members of their immediate families who are low-income.  The rent subsidy is a flat $300 per month unless the rent is less than $300.  The applicant may not be renting from a family member.  The basic criteria:

    1. Must have worked for DPS for five years or more (or be a low-income relative of a 5-year employee/retiree)
    2. Must be 55 or older.
    3. Must rent home/apartment in the Denver metropolitan area, including Boulder.
    4. Must be low-income per our guidelines.  The income guidelines are set annually and can be found on the application form.  For 2018, it's AGI of $47,000 for a single person and $53,700 for two or more.

    For more information please visit The Denver Educational Senior Citizens, Inc,  or contact:  

    DESCI c/o The Denver Foundation
    55 Madison St., 8th Floor
    Denver, CO 80206

    Phone: 303-300-1790 ext. 126

    DPS supplemental benefits program

    The Payroll Protection Plan provides an extra $60 a day if you are sick or injured. Vested members can receive up to $6,000 in a year. The cost for this benefit is just $10 a month.

    The DPS Assistance Fund lends non-personal, durable medical equipment to any employee of DPS -- active or retired -- for as long as you need it, free of charge!

    Contact Office Manager Teresa DeRose at 303-377-0222 or visit the Supplemental Benefits Program site to learn more. For additional details and a list of FAQs, click here.


  • Well Aware

    The Well Aware campaign encourages you to start on the path to better health. By simply being up-to-date on your preventive screenings, and filling out an online health assessment, DPS will do one of the following. For employees enrolled in a Consumer Driven Health Plan, $200 will be contributed to your Health Savings Account. For employees enrolled in an HMO, $200 will be awarded to your paycheck. Learn more below.

    The deadline to complete the Steps to Well Aware is MAY 10, 2019.

    Well Aware - Steps to Your Reward

    Helpful Links and Information:



    Have Questions?

    For more information about the Well Aware program, email or call 720-423-3900.

    Aetna Members: To check that you have completed all of the requirements, please contact Staff Wellness at 720-423-3461 or email

    Kaiser Members: If you have further questions about meeting the requirements, please call 1- 866-300-9867 or email for further confirmation.