New - Remote Learning Resources
DPS is committed to Equity, which includes providing high-quality services and programs for English Learners. ELA recognizes that this is a challenging and unprecedented time for the DPS community. In the face of this unique circumstance and its demands, we want to support you and your hard work for our students as much as possible.
English Language Development (ELD)
Students enrolled in English Language Development (ELD) courses are more likely to be on track to English proficiency, according to the ACCESS Trajectory. Extensive research both within DPS and nationwide has shown that a separate, daily block dedicated to ELD is essential in providing quality language instruction that allows both beginning and intermediate ELs to succeed in both content and language throughout the course of their educational careers.
DPS requires that all schools, both at the Elementary and Secondary level, schedule, at a minimum, a dedicated 45-minute ELD block for all eligible ELs.
This page contains resources to assist with effective implementation of dedicated ELD.
K-12 Dedicated ELD Online Learning
ELD Online Learning is an online learning platform in Schoology with modules that include research, resources, tools and turnkey facilitator slides for Dedicated ELD at the Elementary and Secondary levels. Each module will be open to all educators, including teachers, school leaders, central support staff and observers of ELD, for on-demand learning, instructional tools, coaching, PD, etc. All modules are now available, including:
- Assessing for Language in ELD
- Guidance for Writing
- Language Rigor
- 5 Elements of ELD (PERMS)
- Planning and Pacing
- Student Talk
Resources for DPS dedicated ELD curriculum can be found in the Dedicated ELD Schoology Group. To access, log in to Schoology and enter the access code MGNFG-GJCDD.
- 5 Elements of Dedicated ELD (PERMS)
- Dedicated ELD Reference Guide (English version)
- Dedicated ELD Reference Guide (Spanish version)
- Sample ELD Instructional Sequence
- Teacher Timeline - EL Achieve
- Teacher Timeline - Benchmark
- ELD Guidance for ELs with Special Needs
- LEAP Handbook – Dedicated ELD Appendix
- LEAP Handbook - Newcomers and ACCESS Levels 1 & 2 Appendix
- ELD Grouping Guidance - Elementary
- ELD Grouping Guidance - Middle School
- ELD Grouping Guidance - High School
- Recommendations for Native English Speakers during Dedicated ELD
- Elementary ELD DDI Protocol
Elementary & K-8 Schools
- Similar to other content areas, grading ELD for English Learners in secondary schools is dependent on performance on proficiency level unit and lesson assessments and assignments
- Similar to other content areas, grading ELD for English Learners in High School is dependent on performance on proficiency level unit and lesson assessments and assignments.
Budget and staffing resources
- High School ELD Scheduling Flowchart
- Middle School ELD Scheduling Flowchart
- ELD Course Code Guidance – Elementary
- ELD Course Code Guidance - Middle and High Schools
- Scheduling Guidance - Paired or Stacked
- ELD Curriculum Planning Resources for ECE
- ECE ELD Programming Guidelines and Instructional Sequence
- Sample ECE Schedules with ELD
- ECE ELD Language Mapping Resource: Curriculum Specific
- School leader timeline - EL Achieve
- School leader timeline - Benchmark
- Dedicated ELD Reference Guide
- ELD Reference Guide (translated) - This is page 2 from the Dedicated ELD Reference Guide, translated into Spanish, Arabic and Vietnamese. Great for explaining ELD to diverse audiences.
- Benchmark ELD Observation Guidance - This screencast is geared towards school and teacher leaders who observe ELD and includes resources for supporting teachers for ELD instruction.
- DPS Scheduling Best Practices for Teaching Strategies & Support Interactions Guide
- Scheduling for ELD, SLD & Dual Language Quick Reference
- ACCESS Trajectory Report – available on Principal Portal by selecting Reports > Assessments > ACCESS > ACCESS Trajectory Report 2015
Department of English Language Acquisition
Emily Griffith Campus
1860 Lincoln St., 10th Floor
Denver, CO 80203
ELD Co-Teaching and Rigor ELD
Nicole Carlson Harris