New - Remote Learning Resources
DPS is committed to Equity, which includes providing high-quality services and programs for English Learners. ELA recognizes that this is a challenging and unprecedented time for the DPS community. In the face of this unique circumstance and its demands, we want to support you and your hard work for our students as much as possible.
ELA Teacher Qualification Training Program
Course Registration Guide
All New DPS Teachers Receive ELA Designations
We value our diverse student body, and are committed to improving instruction and student achievement outcomes for every student by providing a rigorous, enriching educational experience. We want teachers to uphold that same commitment by valuing the unique contribution of each student, helping to ensure their success by embracing their language and culture. In order to meet the needs of our diverse learners, all teachers who are new to DPS will receive an ELA designation. No matter the designation (ELA-T, ELA-E and ELA-S) all teachers are strongly encouraged to complete the Basic ELA Teacher Qualification Training their first year.
ELA Teacher Qualification Training Program
What strategies and resources would help build on your existing skills to even better and more efficiently interact and instruct English language learners in your classroom this school year?
ELA training opportunities have been expanded to meet your specific training and classroom needs. Schedules have been built with you in mind to ensure flexibility and support during the school year.
Questions about ELA qualification requirements? Email HRConnect or call 720-423-3900.
- How to enroll in an ELA course
- ELA Teacher Qualification Frequently Asked Questions
- ELA Teacher Qualification Course Guide
- Teacher Qualification Timelines
- Attendance Policy
Course Waiver Information
In some situations, teachers who are required to obtain ELA-E or ELA-S qualifications may request a waiver of all or part of the required ELA advanced training. Teachers may request waivers in the following situations:
- Teachers who have completed a master’s degree in ESL/bilingual education and/or hold a valid Colorado LDE (Linguistically Diverse Endorsement) may submit a copy of the license listing the endorsement to ELA_WaiverRequest@dpsk12.org. Upon review, you will be notified which courses will be waived. Waivers are not provided for ELA 101 and 103.
- Teachers who have a state LDE (Linguistically Diverse Endorsement) from a state other than Colorado may submit a copy of the license with the state approved endorsement to ELA_WaiverRequest@dpsk12.org. Upon review, you will be notified which courses will be waived. Waivers are not provided for ELA 101 and 103.
- Teachers who have taken graduate-level coursework focused on English language acquisition from an accredited university may be eligible to waive out of some required ELA advanced training. Submit an official transcript and corresponding course descriptions to ELA_WaiverRequest@dpsk12.org. Upon review, you will be notified if courses will be waived. Waivers are not provided for ELA 101 and 103.
- If you have completed a certified training that you believe aligns to one or more of the courses, please send the certificate and detailed information about the training (dates, times, content covered) to ELA_WaiverRequest@dpsk12.org. Upon review, you will be notified if a course will be waived. Waivers are not provided for ELA 101 and 103.
For more information on whether you are eligible to submit an ELA training waiver request and/or submission requirements, email ELA_WaiverRequest@dpsk12.org.
Requests are normally processed within 10 business days, with some exceptions. For questions about whether you are eligible to submit an ELA training waiver request and/or submission requirements, email ELA_WaiverRequest@dpsk12.org.
For Learning Space questions, including system access and system navigation, contact the DoTS Hotline at DoTS_Hotline@dpsk12.org or 720-423-3888.
Department of English Language Acquisition
Emily Griffith Campus
1860 Lincoln St., 10th Floor
Denver, CO 80203
ELA Hotline: 720-423-2040
Questions about Teacher Qualification:
Questions about course waivers:
Nicole Carlson Harris