Health Savings Account (HSA)

  • A Health Savings Account (HSA) is a pre-tax, personal savings account that helps you pay for qualified expenses that are not covered by your medical, dental, or vision plans. Health Savings Accounts (HSA) have no annual roll-over cap and stay with you if you leave DPS. DPS contributes $27.92 per paycheck ($670 annually) to your account. You have the option to make additional contributions. You must be enrolled in a Consumer Driven Health Plan (CDHP) with DPS to open an HSA account.  

  • Compare Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) & Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)



    Flexible Spending 
    Account (FSA)

    Health Savings 
    Account (HSA)

    Eligible if:

    You are not enrolled in an HSA

    You have enrolled in a DPS High-Deductible Plan

    Maximum Contribution:

    January 2023 - December 2023: $3,050 

    January 2023 - December 2023:

    • $3,850 single
    • $7,750 family
    • Additional $1,000 for ages 55+

    Availability of Funds:

    Annual amount available immediately once enrolled

    Dependent care expenses* Only the amount actually deposited is available

    Only the amount actually deposited is available

    Roll Over of Funds:

    Funds for expenses incurred but not claimed by September 30th will be lost. This plan will roll over up to $610 of unused funds.

    All unused funds roll over from year to year

    What if I change jobs?

    You can only use funds for claims through your termination date. All unused funds will be lost. 

    This account goes with you

    What can I use this money on?

    Eligible medical, dental, and vision expenses

    Eligible medical, dental, and vision expenses

    *Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts can be paired with Health Savings Accounts. Visit HealthEquity to learn more.

  • How to Enroll

    Open Enrollment (and New Hires)

    You’ll be prompted to sign up as you go through the benefit enrollment process. Already completed your elections but forgot to sign up for your Health Savings Account (HSA)? See the “How to Change” drop down below!

    You can contribute any pre-tax dollars (that means you don’t pay income tax on it) to your Health Savings Account (HSA) through a recurring payroll deduction. Employee contributions are optional, but you are encouraged to build your account and have the option to invest it to accrue even more. 

    You Should Know

    You Should Know: Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) are not compatible with HMO medical plans.
    If you enroll in an HMO plan, you will not have the option of enrolling in a Health Savings Account (HSA).
    HMO plans are compatible with our Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA).

  • How to Access

    Visit the HealthEquity client login website to register your account. From there, you can locate your cards, check your balances, and submit required information for expenses. HealthEquity manages your account entirely. You can contact their Customer Support Center 24/7 by phone or chat. Call 866-346-5800. You can also manage your account by downloading the HealthEquity app.

    You will receive a debit/credit card and a packet from HealthEquity in the mail to your address on file. If your address is a PO box or if the documents are returned, we will not be able to open a Health Savings Account (HSA) for you until we have a current physical address and can deliver mail to you.

  • How to Change

    You may request a change to your Health Savings Account (HSA) amount as often as once per month by completing the Health Savings Account (HSA) Change Form. Forms submitted by the 20th of the month will go into effect on the first of the following month.

  • Who to Contact

    HealthEquity administers your Health Savings Account (HSA). Contact them directly with any questions or with helping accessing your account portal.


    Phone: 866-346-5800

  • How much does DPS contribute to my Health Savings Account (HSA)?

    DPS contributes $27.92 per paycheck to your Health Savings Account (HSA). You can earn an additional $200 contribution to your Health Savings Account (HSA) through the Well Aware Program.

  • What’s the difference between Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)?

    Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) both help you save money by not paying income taxes on the dollars you put towards eligible medical expenses. The Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is a great choice when you have specific expenses that you know are coming. The Health Savings Account (HSA) is great for helping you build your savings for medical expenses that you think may come at some point. 

  • What DPS medical plans are Health Savings Account (HSA) compatible?

    • UHC:  Choice Plus CDHP 3500, CO Doctors CDHP 3500
    • Kaiser:  CDHP 3500, CDHP 3200, CDHP 1600
    • MotivHealth:  CDHP 3200

  • How do I use the funds in my Health Savings Account (HSA)?

    Before you do anything, you have to register your Health Savings Account (HSA) at or by calling 866-346-5800. 

    After you register, you can use your Health Savings Account (HSA) card (which you will receive from WageWorks - Health Equity in the mail) just like a debit card!

  • When will I receive my Health Savings Account (HSA) card?

    Most people will receive their Health Savings Account (HSA) cards within 3-4 weeks after their effective enrollment date. If you haven’t received your card, please reach out to HealthEquity directly by calling 866-346-5800.


  • What can I spend my Health Savings Account (HSA) on?

    Please visit to learn more about allowable expenses and any other account specific information you may need.

  • Can I enroll in a Health Savings Account (HSA) and a Flexible Spending Account (FSA)?

    You are allowed to enroll in a Health Savings Account (HSA) Compatible Flexible Spending Account (FSA) if you already have an existing Health Savings Account (HSA). This special Flexible Spending Account (FSA) can only be used for dependent care expenses, and other restricted dental and vision expenses. You must enroll during your new hire or annual open enrollment periods. To enroll outside of new hire or open enrollment, you must have a Qualifying Life Event.