Course Code Management

  • Welcome to Course Code Management!

    Course Code Management is responsible for managing and maintaining the high, middle, and elementary school course catalogs. We facilitate the course code request and update process. We are working to ensure that each course DPS offers has an accompanying syllabus which accurately reflects the material taught.

    If you have any feedback regarding the course addition or change request processes, any related supporting materials on the website (e.g. if a link on this page is broken), or if you would like to submit a question to Transcript and Course Code Support please email

  • Course Information & Catalog

    Please navigate to the link below for all current course catalogs, course information, and course code resources.

    Course Code Resources 

  • Course Request Process Information

    In order to efficiently and effectively meet the needs of the staff members involved in managing the high, middle, and elementary school course catalogs we facilitate a process ensuring quality completion of all course requests.  The output of this process will be a course catalog which will be supported by high-quality information, accessible to all users.

    Please navigate to the link below to access the current Course Code Request Process Information

    Course Code Request Process

  • Frequently Asked Questions


    Topic: Course Requests

    How do I submit a request for a new high school, middle school, or elementary school course?

    Click here to navigate to the Course Request Webpage.

    What changes to an existing course can I make?

    Changes can be made to the course title, course description, content area code, credit type, SCED code, state code and inactivation/reactivation of course codes by emailing Course Code Support at

    What are the deadlines for submitting proposals to create or change a course?

    The deadline for submitting any course proposal or change is 12/1.

    Topic: DPS Course Codes/Attributes

    How do I access the master course code catalog?

    To research existing course titles, click here to access the Course Code Management’s Master Course Catalog.

    What is a “SCED”?

    “School Code Exchange of Data” definition: A SCED is a standardized code describing a general subject area mapped to a specific DPS course, allowing for comparisons between the DPS Course Catalog and those of other districts and schools.  Every course in the Master Course Catalog which is taught at a DPS school (excluding Concurrent Enrollment courses) will have an assigned SCED code.

    What does the 1st digit of a course code indicate?

    The first digit of the five-digit course code indicates the type of code a detailed explanation of what each 1st digit 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 means are provided in the Course Type Clarifications chart.

    What is an NCAA approved course?

    All DPS course offerings are scrutinized by the NCAA Eligibility Center and are either approved or denied.  Both approved and denied courses are listed on their website under “High School Administrator.” Select “List of NCAA Courses” from the menu bar. Enter the high school CEEB/ACT (College Entrance Examination Board/American College Testing, found in the High School Procedures Guide under Section II, “Internal Administrative Practices”) code. If unknown, use the alternate option. Select “Colorado,” enter city “Denver” and the high school name. Then select what you wish to view.

    Topic: Scheduling

    Who do I contact if I am having scheduling issues?

    Contact Department of Technology Services, or 720-423-3888.

    Can a student receive high school credit for summer courses taken the summer after 8th grade?

    The student is considered to be a 9th grader the first business day after their last day of middle school; therefore the student is allowed to receive high school credit at that point.

    What is the maximum amount of credit a student can earn during summer school?

    Under section I, D, “DPS High School Graduation Requirements: Class of 2011 & Beyond” the HS Procedures Guide states the following: The maximum number of credits a student may earn in summer school is 10 semester hours.

    What is the deadline for Summer School scheduling?

    All summer school schedules should (typically) be in place by May 1st of each year. Contact DoTS TPST if you experience problems with scheduling.

    How do I change a Concurrent Enrollment (“CE”) course code because the college where the student is enrolled has provided a new or different course number or title?

    CE course titles are generic to represent different courses offered at various postsecondary institutions. The actual course title and number should be entered manually in the Comments section of a student’s transcript. This change occurs at the school level when enacted by the individual (transcript secretary, registrar, principal’s secretary) responsible for manually entering changes on the student’s transcript. The actual course will also be represented on the student’s college transcript.

    What is the difference between an “academic elective” and a “general elective”?

    Academic electives are electives that have an academic focus.  Courses that are taken beyond the minimum graduation requirements in English, Math, Science, Social Studies, Fine Arts, World Languages and CTE count as academic electives.  Individual schools may have additional courses that count as academic electives (contact the School Counselor for specific academic elective course offerings).

    General electives are courses not generally covered by the core curriculum. These courses offer students the opportunity to broaden their educational experiences or perspectives based on their personal interests, including physical education and co-curricular activities.  General electives also permit exploration in areas such as career advancement, work study experiences or community services.

    What is the difference between the 100xx and 400xx special education courses?

    The 100xx courses are replacement special education courses and must be taught by “highly qualified” content special education teachers.  The 400xx courses are for students who need a modified curriculum and are eligible to take CoAlt and are taught by a center program teacher who is highly qualified in elementary education.

    When can I use a CTE (Career Technical Education) course at my school?

    CTE courses are tied to Perkins grant funding and taught at designated schools that require prior approval. Contact the CTE department for more information.

    Topic: Syllabi

    Where can I access the district syllabi?

    The district has undertaken an initiative to gather all syllabi in one depository; results are pending.

  • Syllabi Management

    Syllabi Update and Management Services Detail

    If you would like to submit a question regarding syllabi, please send us an email. As courses are taught over time the core materials, guiding principles, and ideas sometimes change to match new discoveries or updated standards within that subject matter.  The syllabi for those courses need to evolve in parallel.  We will facilitate the process of ensuring that each course offered in our course catalog has a syllabus that accurately reflects the content being taught in that course.

    Syllabus Template

    Click Here to Download

    Syllabi Repository

    The course code management team is working to improve the syllabi storage, maintenance, and creation process.

    Please click here to access the DPS Course Catalog.  From here you can search by name, course number, and other various fields to find courses.  The most current syllabi can be access via a link in the course description.  

    *This repository is currently under development, not all course syllabi are available or current.

    Syllabi Update Process 

    Please email us to update a current syllabus