Employee built groups fostering diversity and inclusion.
DPS Belong groups are intentional spaces for people with similar backgrounds, beliefs and experiences to gather, celebrate and create community. We recognize that our employees from underrepresented backgrounds bring diverse experiences, perspectives and approaches to the work that we do. These experiences and perspectives are what creates a stronger and more inclusive environment for both our employees and our students.
Join a Belong Group! Established groups include:
African American/Black Belong Group
Currently, we are in the process of creating our group charter, which will help inform our goals and group culture. Join us in this process by signing up here!
Asian Belong Group
We plan to make DPS a better place by helping students find their voice. We would also like for building principals to help us identify Asian teachers and leaders in their buildings so that we can build a community with them.
We plan to make DPS more inclusive by providing translators at events and have meetings in the community by frequenting Asian businesses. We feel that the community is bigger than just our schools and we recognize that many of our parents are business owners. Join us by signing up here.
Citizens of the World Belong Group
Each member of this group needs to make a serious commitment and reflect the values of the group through concrete actions in his/her work at DPS. We will create a cultural program that helps us nurture our own sense of equity and inclusion while promoting these values among our students to make DPS a better place. We plan to make DPS more inclusive through:
- Cultural events (shows, museums, speakers).
- Bring cultural events to the schools. E.G. food, culture aspects, dancers etc.
- International nights
- Presentation of cultures at schools
- Presentations from individuals who break the stereotype of culture.
Join us by signing up here.
Confronting White Privilege Belong Group
White privilege, especially when unrecognized and unexamined, remains a major roadblock to progress toward achieving social justice. This group will provide staff members a space to recognize and deepen their understanding of the implications of whiteness, privilege, racism, and oppression. Members will both look inward at how they experience privilege and contribute to oppressive systems and outward to learn historical context and ongoing effects of racism in society. We will then use this knowledge to act with sensitivity and understanding to confront racist and oppressive systems in DPS.
While this group is targeted toward those who identify as white, all staff members are welcome to participate in order to better inform the conversation about what it truly means to be a “white ally” in action. Join us in this process by signing up here.
Latinx/Hispanic Belong Group
We commit to being learners, advocates, influencers, supporters and inspire ourselves, our DPS team and our students. We hope to make DPS more inclusive by:
- Do a lot of listening/trying to find the wants of our community
- Advocate for our students, low-income schools with limited resources
- Help students build a better understanding of their roots/history
- Provide resources for teachers
- Attending community events/ have small community events
- Partner with District parent Latino group
- Bring our stories/experiences
Join us by signing up here.
LGBTQ+ Belong Group
We plan to make DPS more inclusive by identifying needs of the LGBTQIA+ staff and students, advocating for policy change within DPS to support these needs, and hosting events for the LGBTQIA+ and the larger DPS community to include all voices in holistically supporting the needs of both LGBTQIA+ staff and students. Join us by signing up here.
To see information on meeting dates and times anonymously, go here.
Veterans Belong Group
Military Veterans, we need you! We are working to identify the Veteran population within DPS so we can keep you up to date on issues that may affect you or that you may be interested in engaging on. Don’t let the Veteran voice remain silent. Our students and our educators need to hear your important perspective as we continue to strive for a rich, diverse and responsive dialogue within DPS and our community at large. Contact Aaron Deterding at email@example.com for more information on how you can get involved!
Women of Color Belong Group
Mission: The Women of Color Belong Group (WOC) is committed to the empowerment, development, collaboration, and comradery of our members within a supportive network and sisterhood of professional women. Our goal is to support district effort to:
- Create an ingrained support system for our educators including a protocol where employees of color can learn about the list of Belong Groups upon hiring
- Work for the advancement, retention, support, and development of Women of Color across departments through professional development, training, skills courses, mentorship, and engagement activities.
- Create caring communities through the strategic use of text, email, meetups, events, and programs for youth (i.e. Pathways to Teaching for HS students, Career Fairs for youth, Speaker’s Bureau)
- Collaborate with organizations and facilitators that support the ongoing development and support of our initiatives and goals of our WOC group
- Engage in social outings, health/wellness activities, and fun events that promote sisterhood and self-care for body and soul.
Join us by signing up here.