Weather Delay Information
It's never too early to think about winter.
In an effort to increase student safety during winter months, Denver Public Schools would like to remind you of its Weather Delay Policy for the 2020-21 school year. All schools (regardless of start time) will be delayed by two hours if the District calls a Weather Delay.
The purpose of the Weather Delay Schedule is to provide school buses additional time to pick up students and reduce student wait time in severe weather. The decision to close or delay school will be made by the superintendent based on information provided by representatives from DPS Transportation Services, transportation agencies and the weather bureau.
Please know DPS is committed to informing families about school closures or delays as early as possible – with the goal to make the call by 5 a.m.
The following are school closure or delay procedures due to inclement weather:
- School Closings:
The decision to keep schools open or to close them during winter weather is made with one overriding factor in mind: the well-being of DPS students and employees. Schools are not only vital places of learning for students, but they also provide nutrition, health care, counseling and essential support services. Whenever possible, DPS strives to keep schools open. If schools are closed, all school-related activities that day – athletics, performances – are also canceled unless otherwise noted.
- Weather Delay Schedule
If severe weather initiates the Weather Delay Schedule, all schools (regardless of start time) will be delayed by two hours. The decision to close or delay school will be made by the DPS superintendent based on information provided by officials from DPS Transportation Services, local transportation agencies and weather services.
- Morning school buses will run the delay schedule and begin pick-ups at bus stops two hours later than the normal pick-up time. (Example: If your morning school bus pick-up time is 7:55 a.m., your bus will pick-up at 9:55 a.m.)
- Students walking, biking, carpooling or taking RTD are encouraged to leave home two hour later than they would normally leave for school. (Example: If student leaves home at 7:45 a.m. for school, he/she would now depart at 9:45 a.m. to arrive on time to school.)
- ECE and kindergarten: Morning (AM) kindergarten will be canceled. Afternoon (PM) preschool students will attend school and have bus service on their normal schedule.
- Breakfast will still be served to students as they arrive to school.
DPS encourages families to stay informed during inclement weather via the following channels:
- DPS social media – Announcements to close or delay school will quickly be posted to Facebook @DenverPublicSchools and Twitter @DPSNewsNow.
- District closure/delay hotline – A message announcing the closure or delay will be left on the school district’s closure hotline at 720-423-3200, as well on the DPS Transportation Services hotline at 720-423-4600.
- Automated calls and emails – Families who provide phone numbers or email addresses to schools will receive a phone call and/or an email announcing any closure or delay due to inclement weather. Please ensure your information is updated by logging into your DPS Parent Portal account at myportal.dpsk12.org, or by contacting your school’s main office.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- School Closings: