Welcome to the Training and Safety Department within DPS Transportation Services. It is our mission to maximize efforts of enforcing quality standards, through continual classroom and on the road training for all employees who transport children. Our focus is to ensure your student is safe each and every day they ride to and from school.
The Safety & Training Department in Transportation Services is available to evaluate school bus loading and unloading zones.
Members of Transportation Services, the Department of Safety and Security, and the Traffic Engineering Department of Denver have entered into a cooperative committee to handle just these types of problems. If you are in need of having your signs evaluated or changed contact the Transportation Training Department liaison Paul Brown at 720-423-4634.
- Colorado State Pupil Transportation Association
- Magic School Bus
- National Association for Pupil Transportation
- National Association of State Directors of Pupil Transportation
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- National Safety Council
- School Bus Fleet Magazine
- School Transportation News
Bus Evacuation Drills
School bus evacuation drills occur twice during the school year (in the fall and in the spring). These are done by the bus staff in front of DPS campuses.
During drills, the Transportation Services staff will be conducting rear door emergency evacuation drills in the school loading zones after buses arrive at your respective schools during the morning routes. Below are the requirements from the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) Transportation Division regarding emergency evacuation drills:
- Emergency evacuation drills shall be conducted at least twice during each school year for route operators and students who are transported the day of the drill.
- One drill shall be through the emergency door(s) unless district/service provider policy precludes such practice.
- One drill shall be conducted in the fall and the second drill conducted in the spring.
- Substitute and activity trip operators of 16 or greater capacity vehicles shall be involved in the drills.
- Students on activity trips shall receive emergency evacuation instruction prior to departure.
- Records shall be maintained documenting that the required evacuation drills were conducted or evacuation instruction was given.
- Since drills will be conducted via the rear or front passenger entry emergency exit of the school bus, we expect minimal (if any) negative impact on bell times. If you have any questions please contact Transportation Services Safety & Training Department at 720-423-4636 or 720-423-4634.