Advanced Licenses/Certificates & National Board Certifications

  • Teachers and SSPs can receive a base salary increase, through a grade change, by attaining an advanced license/certificate, or National Board certification. An advanced license/certificate or National Board certification is equal to a one-time grade change with a cap at grade 6 (MA + 54). If you are currently in grade 6 (MA + 54) or grade 7 (Doctorate), you will receive a one-time base increase of $2,000 rather than a grade change. Teachers and SSPs can only apply for an advanced license/certificate or National Board Certification grade change one time, even if subsequent licenses/certificates are attained.

    Advanced Licenses and Certifications must be on the approved list for the Advanced License and Certificates.

    The following licenses or certificates have been reviewed and they have been found NOT ELIGIBLE for an Advanced License/Certification grade change:

      • Colorado Principal License or Principal/Administrator License - NOT ELIGIBLE
      • Child Development Associate credential (CDA) - NOT ELIGIBLE
      • Certified Journalism Educator (CJE) - NOT ELIGIBLE
      • Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN) - NOT ELIGIBLE

    If an employee's advanced license or certificate is not on the approved list for the Advanced License and Certificate, the employee must submit a proposal to by following the instructions on the Request Form to Add an Advanced License or Certification for review.  The joint District and DCTA ProComp Implementation Team has final approval.

    Please review the detailed general eligibility guidelines for all incentives.

    To submit your renewed teaching license or advanced license/National Board Certification, follow the instructions in this user guide. You will complete the renewal process in Employee Space, which is accessible from the Employee Action Center. Before you get started, make sure to have a PDF of the credential ready to upload.

    If your salary includes a grade for an advanced license/national board, an unexpired credential must be on record.

    To request a grade change after obtaining a new credential, follow these instructions.

    If you are in one of the following categories, you may be eligible to receive the CDE National Board Stipend:

    • Teachers and principals who hold a valid National Board Certification (NBCT) from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS)
    • School counselors who hold a valid certificate from either NBPTS or the National Board for Certified Counselors (NCC, CCMHC or NCSC only)
    • School psychologists who hold a valid National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) certificate

    NBCT stipends will be paid to eligible employees in the second paycheck of May 2020.

    The National Board Stipend is available in the CDE eLicensing system. Applications for the stipend closed on December 31, 2019. Please review the 2019-20 Stipend Distribution Process details. For the 2020-2021 stipend, applications will open on December 1, 2020.

    For the details of the program and allotted amounts, please visit the CDE 2019-2020 Stipends for Nationally Certified School Professionals.

    DPS does not manage the eligibility or application process for stipends for nationally certified school professionals. You must e-mail NBPTS E-mail Inquiries for any questions.