When we created the Denver Plan 2020, a consensus around the importance of school leadership was clear – that’s why preparing and supporting school leaders is one of the strategies in the plan.
In order to ensure Great Schools in Every Neighborhood, DPS designed the LEAD growth and performance system to support Instructional Leadership Teams and improve student achievement. This includes the School Leadership Framework which defines what excellent school leadership looks like. LEAD also helps school leaders develop their skills by identifying their areas of strength and opportunities for growth. This happens through supervisor and teacher feedback paired with access to personalized professional learning opportunities.
LEAD aligns closely with our teacher-focused growth and performance system LEAP (Leading Effective Academic Practice). Together, the two systems support the growth of all educators in every school.
Interested in becoming a school leader? Check out
School Leader Talent Report user guides
LEAD ONLINE TOOLS
Whetstone is the new, collaborative observation and coaching tool for educators, inclusive of; Teachers, Specialized Service Providers and School Leaders. This new tool includes enhanced communication and analytic features that make documentation and sharing simple, while helping educators work together to make progress toward their goals. Whetstone replaces Schoolnet for observation data collection.
Whetstone is available at https://dps.whetstoneeducation.com/
LEAD GROWTH AND PERFORMANCE SYSTEM RESOURCES
School Leadership Framework resources
- LEAD Growth and Scoring Guidance
- LEAD Growth & Performance System Handbook
- LEAD Scoring Instructions
- School Leader Positions on LEAD
- LEAD Professional Practice and Student Growth SMART Goal Examples
Principal/AP/Leader of Others
- Infor HR Instructions: How to change AP position to be indirect supervisor over deans
- LEAD Fairness Guide
- LEAD Goal Setting Guide 2018 One Pager
- LEAD Growth & Performance Monthly Map
- LEAD Goal Setting Worksheet
- LEAD End-of-Year Conversation Guide
- LEAD Body of Evidence Tool and instructions to access and interpret results
- LEAD Body of Evidence Overview
- LEAD Overall Student Growth Rating Calculator - download as an EXCEL spreadsheet
Senior team leads - LEAD resources
LEAD evaluation structure
LEAD evaluation is made up of 50% professional practice and 50% student growth.
Professional practice is measured by the six competencies in the School Leadership Framework.
School Leadership Framework Competencies:
- Instructional Expertise
- Vision & Strategy
- People & Culture
- Community & Equity
- Personal & Values
- Operational & Organizational
Student growth is measured by SPF growth and individual goals for student growth.
- SPF Growth Indicator, at least 30% of overall rating
- Recommended 20%, minimum 10%
- Individual goals for student growth aligned with UIP and School Improvement Plan, at least 20% of overall rating
- Recommended 30%, minimum 5%
All principals, assistant principals, and leaders of others create and submit 2–3 leader-selected student growth goals. Student growth goals are intended to highlight school leaders’ primary areas of focus and are intended to align with the school’s Unified Improvement Plan (UIP) and Strategic School Plan.