DPS Leadership (DPSL) is based on the Leadership Challenge Workshop by Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner. Participants will deeply examine the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership and use the Leadership Practices Inventory (a 360 feedback tool) as a way to identify the frequency in which they engage in their leadership practices.
New dates coming soon..
What is DPS Leadership?
DPS Leadership (DPSL) is based on the Leadership Challenge Workshop by Jim
Houzesand Barry Posner. The Leadership Challenge Workshop is grounded in over 30 years of research. Participants will deeply examine the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership:
- Model the Way
- Inspire a Shared Vision
- Challenge the Process
- Enable Others to Act
- Encourage the Heart
Leaders use the Leadership Practices Inventory (a 360 feedback tool) as a way to identify the frequency in which they engage in the leadership practices.
Participants will be able to...
- Understand and articulate the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership
- Identify the frequency in which they engage in the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership
- Increase self-awareness about assumptions/biases and begin to challenge their assumptions.
- Build meaningful relationships with peers and colleagues across DPS
- Learn how to lead through the lens of cultural responsiveness and equity
- Understand and identify cross-cultural implications
- Develop strategies and action plans to grow and improve, both personally and professionally
- Communicate how others will experience them differently as a leader going forward
- Articulate action plan and disciplined approach to measuring Mission & Values (M&V) based leadership – adding metrics to structured reviews on how their actions/leadership impact progress in vetting M&V within DPS
Who should attend?
DPSL is designed for senior DPS leaders that include Department Chiefs, Executive Directors, Instructional Superintendents, Directors, General Counsel, and Principals in their 2nd year and beyond. There are a few position exceptions regarding the Transportation, Facilities and Enterprise Management Departments:
- Transportation: Managers and Supervisors are invited to participate. They must have at least 3 or more direct reports.
- Facilities: Managers that have 3 or more direct reports.
- Enterprise Management: Managers and Supervisors are invited to attend. They must have at least 3 or more direct reports.
Recommended prerequisite: DPS Management
Supports Your Goals
Participation in this program provides the tools and knowledge to help you achieve the following goals:
LIFT and LEAD Goals:
- Personal & Values
- Vision & Strategy
- Operational & Organizational
- People & Culture
- Community & Equity