Software Purchases: DPS Central Office Teams
Please note: The following guidelines and processes are for DPS Central Office Teams only.
As of July 1, 2021 any purchase of software made by a Central Office Business Unit (defined as any department or team within DPS that is not a school-based team) will be required to follow the new process outlined below:
- The Business Unit engages the Department of Technology Services (DoTS) via DoTS intake request.
- The Business Unit completes a proposal document.
- The DoTS Architecture group will review the proposal document and schedule a meeting with the business unit, if needed. Once a project proposal is submitted to DoTS, the business unit can expect a decision in approximately 1-2 weeks.
- The DoTS Architecture group will make one of three (3) recommendations:
- Proceed with DoTS support; business unit may proceed with purchase, and DoTS commits to providing a specific level of support defined in a Service Level Agreement (SLA).
- Proceed without DoTS support; business unit may proceed with the purchase, but DoTS resources are not required for implementation, integration, or future support.
- Do not proceed; software purchase is NOT approved. Reasons may include, but are not limited to: a similar solution is already in place, exposure or potential risks to security or student data privacy, or poor technology fit with existing practices or products.
- The DoTS Architecture group will share the recommendation with Strategic Sourcing. If recommendation A or B is made, Strategic Sourcing will move forward drafting a contract. At that time, the business unit may proceed normally.